Kaiser Permanente - KAISER SUCKS!

Don't get Kaiser!We just switched to Kaiser HMO 2012, regret it!

My wife need to see a an OBGYN doctor, went to the office waited for 3 hours and was unable to get a refferal to see the doctor. Now, they informed her she needs to travel to another location to get the refferal, then travel to another location to see the doctor. (We were like WOW) I write on and on, but bottom line is -DON'T GET KAISER-!

- Lastly, how do you have a company survive like that, so regret.Can't wait to switch out

More Review Details

Helpful? 36 Yes 36 7 No 7
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
stupid comment

Nov 16 #1064826

sad but company is falling apart. my bosses boss in marketing HR is a total ***. Many complaints made against him and he's still there. Sad!

Oct 04 #1043062

A couple of things.
Kaiser and mental health do not mix. Do not choose Kaiser if you need mental health. They claim they've hired a lot of new therapists and psychiatrists, but they have to stretch the numbers back to 2011 (before Obamacare) to today. As of October 2015, the wait for mental health is still two months for ongoing appointments.
Also, do not choose Kaiser if you are old and very sick. They will give you bargain prescriptions and send you out the door in 5 minutes so they can take care of all the overbooked patients. When you figure out you want to go elsewhere, you're trapped and they won't pay. It's impossible to get a referral outside of the Kaiser system.
Finally, look at the medical background of Kaiser primary docs. They usually come from schools outside of the US or the med school rejects in the Caribbean. I'm sure there are good primary docs who were taught elsewhere, but I think most of them are bottom of the barrel rejects. Or you can choose a nurse practitioner, but would you trust your complex health problems to a pretend-doc who didn't do the full sequence in med school and residency?
Kaiser stinks just like all of the HMOs. Don't be tricked with the Medicare 5-star ratings. And if you have mental health needs, stay very far away.

May 16 #985173

This story is very hard to get across in words how tragic and desperate we felt but I will try. Two years ago my son was in his 2nd year of college. He developed a drug problem. We had no idea how bad it was and what to do about it. We expected to get guidance from our health care professionals at Kaiser. After all, that is what we have insurance for.
When our son came home after the second year was over, thru various and horrible ways we found out he was abusing drugs. He agreed he had a problem and wanted help. We turned to Kaiser Addiction medicine. They put him in outpatient rehab. We felt that maybe he needed more but we had never dealt with this and did not question their “knowledge”. He attended most meetings, he did miss a few, but he drove himself to and from the meetings on his own. He wanted to be sober. After a couple of weeks, my husband and I found him unconscious and barely breathing. It was latterly the worst moment of our life. My husband performed CPR until the 911 responders arrived. They shot him in the heart with something to make his heart beat again and start breathing. He was taken to the closest hospital, not a Kaiser hospital. He was there for about 8 hours. The doctor there told us that he needed more treatment then he was getting and he has a serious problem. When he was stable enough, they moved him to a Kaiser hospital where he stayed for about another 24 hours. We were told he was ok to go home with us. A big red flag went off
... Show more

Jul 14, 2014 #840731

I feel your pain. I can only get Kaiser. Instead, I have to use WebMD because Kaiser is freaking useless. They've never told me anything I couldn't figure out myself. Also, you can't sue Kaiser, so they can do whatever they want. People die from neglect and Kaiser gets off easily. I hate Kaiser with a passion.

Ex kaiser member

May 27, 2014 #820789

The pharmacy staff is terrible. They don't know anything about medications and are very rude, especially an old, skinny blonde in Carlsbad. The wait is horrible and prescriptions are incorrect most of the time.

3 0 Reply

Apr 20, 2014 #807206 Milwaukie, Oregon

So, I am a new member with Kaiser. I went to their hospital today because i was having such horrible sharp and constant pain on my right side. I had my blood pressure taken and was asked questions (the entire time they talked to me they seemed kind of rude). They more or the less said that i wasn't important and that they were going to put me on the back burner. They then told me that someone would call me in for a blood test and to go to the bathroom and urinate into a bottle and bring it back. I did but when i returned they were taking care of someone else and having a conversation that had nothing to do with the other patient's problem!!!! I ended up spending 10-15 minutes with this bottle of ***..I then got PISSED and stomped into the little room and slammed that bottle of pee on her desk. I waited some more in the lobby....about another 10-15 minutes and nothing....So i ripped my little patient bracelet off and threw it into the garbage and walked out.
I drove to Providence and was treated with respect and was seen right away. EVERYONE was friendly and nice. I was diagnosed with a ruptured cyst on my ovary. They understood how painful it was and put me on pain meds right away. Thank you PROVIDENCE! AND F U KAISER!

7 0 Reply
Ricky Rocket

Feb 19, 2014 #786491

They lied to me. They told me my premium would remain the same at the beginning of 2014 for the whole year then the day I turn 55 my premium goes up from $390 to $900. I think Kaiser is over rated and rates itself now that I see this happening. Time to drop all health insurance and move to another country

Aug 04 #1015722

Hey R.R . dont blame Kaiser its the guy you voted for...Obama who caused the increase ....Take from you to insure deadbeats...

1 1 Reply

Nov 16 #1064828

to the *** below who blames Obama for Ricky's issues with Kaiser. Kaiser was screwed up long before Obama was president! Also Kaiser was heavily involved in the creation of the Affordable Care Act. Love how *** people can just say anything with no verification!

Eff ewe

Jan 29, 2014 #779651 Sacramento, California

Yes kaiser sucks. The drs are overwhelmed. And the new policy on pain management has me considering heroin as an alternative to needles in my ear and snotty pain specialists who view everyone who requests strong medicine for pain as drug seekers. It's pointless to argue with it as it only gives them more of a reason to label you a drug addict. :(

Aug 10 #1018092 Portland, Oregon

Yep, went in crying in pain to gets some relief for my swollen knee. Got sent home with a f***ing pair of crutches and a lecture on how pain meds are addictive. I am so tired of being treated like a drug addict because I have health conditions that cause extreme pain. RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Kaiser Sucks

Jan 10, 2014 #771641

Kaiser is useless. There are a grand total of 6 doctors within 25 miles of our home which I can choose from as our mandatory primary care physician.

One - ONE - of these doctors attended medical school in the US. The others are obviously bargain basement rejects from foreign medical schools in India and the Caribbean.

Coverage begins in 2 days and no cards received yet. Kaiser says they should be here by the 30th - 18 days AFTER coverage begins.

Coverage hasn't even begun yet and I'm already disgusted. This was obviously a huge mistake that we're stuck with for the next year.

Teach Science Not God

Dec 13, 2013 #757520

Doctors have the hardest job in the world. They are only human and errors do happen. But everyone makes errors now and then. The biggest problem are patients who wont follow their doctors orders. That means you take the prescription medications as prescribed and don't ever question your doctors decisions. It's rude to do so. Doctors didn't spend 15 years in medical training gaining all of that knowledge and expertise just to be questioned by their patients and not follow proper treatment procedure. Your doctor knows best. You may think that you know "what's best," but people who ignore their doctors orders are the ones who wont survive their ailments. Why do you think people are living way longer nowadays? These people take their medications to control deadly cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. It's deadly foods like meat, eggs, butter and saturated fats that your doctor will tell you not to eat. Whole grains are what your body needs. Don't listen to anybody who say prescription medications are dangerous. They're not if you follow your doctors orders. These meds prolong lives by decades. FYI: Kaiser has a better than average track record than most medical facilities do.

0 11 Reply

Aug 10 #1018096

Have you read some of the experiences people have had with some of the doctors. 15 years in medical training does not make you perfect or make you know it all. There a lot of people out there who would be dead if they had not requested a second opinion. It's my body and I will ask any question I want and I will research any pill they try to shove down my throat.

1 0 Reply

Oct 04 #1043086

I knew you were full of it when you mentioned meat and eggs were deadly and tell us to blindly accept all of the pills. And whole grains? Look up wheat belly? Whole grains are a good way to make you fat and it's processed food. Prescription meds are bad news unless it's short term to treat an infection or something like that or a few exceptions like metformin. Kaiser doctors (and at other HMOs) don't know anything. They just prescribe medications like statins in order to shove you out the door real fast like an assembly line to pad Kaiser's profits. The doctor's time is more valuable than the harmful big pharma pills you are taking. You can crawl back to blogs like SBM in shame because evidence based medicine (often slanted since 50% of drug study results are not published because big pharma is hiding something) has yielded poor results for me and many others. I only saw real positive change when I got rid of most of my prescription meds and went to a real food diet with absolutely no processed or fake foods. No dairy either. Low fat = highly processed food.

Disabled back patient

Dec 09, 2013 #755120

Try getting treatment for a pre-existing history of degenerative disk disease and a herniated disk at L4-L5!

My GP was on vacation, so Kaiser offered another GP who committed MEDICAL MALPRACTICE by prescribing "Home Exercise" based upon her statement "90% of all back pain resolves itself with in two weeks" after she interrupted my extensive history which included TWO previous surgeries on my spine!

She would NOT order an x-ray and concluded my "diagnosis" was "Sciatica" which is a general list of SYMPTOMS, not the CAUSE. I was told to go home and come back for a follow up in two weeks!

I filed a formal complaint against this GP and I was called by a Kaiser Nurse Advocate who conducted a very thorough interview including my medical history.

This advocate set a second appointment at my local Kaiser facility with another GP... This was a repeat of the first appointment, except this GP prescribed pain medication and PHYSICAL THERAPY with out ordering an x-ray!

For those unfamiliar with "Sciatica" as a collection of symptoms, Sciatica can be caused by anything from a simple back muscle strain up to and including My previously diagnosed "Herniated Disk at L4-L5" and up to a cancerous tumor on the spine...

Yet two Kaiser GP's chose to commit Medical Malpractice and stating the very same Company Talking Point that "90% of all back pain resolves itself in two weeks" when I am NOT a "typical patient"...... Show more

Oct 24, 2013 #732707 Aiea, Hawaii

I have to agree with all consumer complaints and more, I used to be an employee at Kaiser Hospital in Honolulu Hawaii for 6 years(too long)at the bedside medical care career. Very sad to say the care is wreckless with patients and the for treatment by Administration to employees is inexcusable. This company only "THRIVES" on financial gain for the huge population of upper management. I am so disappointed that there is an institution that cares nothing about anything or anyone. I could go on and on, with many details of my short stem of my career of 27 years in the medical field. Please beware of this glamorous misinterpreted medical company. Switch your insurance now! when I took my oath into my profession the number one priority was your patient, not with Kaiser.

1 0 Reply

Oct 24, 2013 #732590 Ventura, California

I Hate Kaiser. They suck and are the Worst. If your thinking of getting them, DONT! RUN! I have no choice at this point, but am willing to switch to OBAMACARE because nothing could be worse then Kaiser. I had dangerously High Blood Pressure and Legally they should not have released me but did 2 times. Then they sent a letter and called a room mate of mine to tell them I had heart problems a year later?? WTF? they had my telephone number and work number but yet contacted an old location and called an old??? OMG I can't believe them. Next I see the DR once for checkup and neck pain and Pay two co-pay's and x-ray fees then get a bill on top of it??? The DR didn't prescribe anything or send me to another dr.

Sep 01, 2013 #710282 San Francisco, California

Kaiser sucks I got a :( over the phone appt. With my DR. He didn't even care to call. Every time I go see him the nurse always ask me so what's wrong now in a bad way. I hate kaiser I am getting rid of them as soon my job has open enrollment. I had my tubes tied I got pregnant in 4 months after surgery. I had strep troat and they didn't care to treat me I went to a private doctor he prescribe me antibiotics. Really kaiser I am so sick of you.

Aug 25, 2013 #706726

It took six years and me changing doctors a handful of times to get diagnosis that no doctor at Kaiser knows how to treat.

1-20 of 40 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.